 |
| Big Ben |
 |
| Buckingham Palace |
 |
| The Queen driving by in her carriage! |
 |
| First group picture in front of our house |
Believe it or not...I AM IN AFRICA!!!! It for sure still feels like a
dream. After leaving SLC we took a 2 1/2 hour flight to Dallas, and then
we only had a 40 minute layover and our terminal was on the other side
of the airport, so we got off the plane and went straight to our next
one which was a 9 1/2 hour flight to London! I got a cold like 2 days
before I left so I took 2 cold medicine when I got on the flight...but
little did I know that they made you drowsy so I also took 2 sleeping
pills....I was in the middle of watching sherlock holmes and next thing I
knew I woke up with my head on my tray and the movie was over, so I
took off my headphones and got a little more comfortable and I was OUT!!
Jan said I was sleeping with my face straight against the pillow not
really even laying on it....mouth open and drool coming out haha I woke
up when they brought us breakfast and sort of ate it but felt completely
drugged up and was out again until we landed in London. For like 2
hours my eyes were literally glazed over and I had no clue what was
going on...definitely a good ice breaker for meeting new people. I for
sure will never take 2 sleeping pills again and especially not with cold
medicine! But I'm not going to lie....it was the BEST flight I have
ever had!!
So then we land in London and get on the train to go
into town, once we got off at our station we walk up stairs and first
thing I see is Big Ben! I felt like I was in a dream (literally since I
was still drugged up on sleeping pills) and we just sort of started
walking down the street. The road was blocked off and there were
policemen everywhere and actually straight up English soldier guys in
the red with the tall black fluffy hats. So we asked an officer what was
going on, and guess what he said.....Oh just that the QUEEN OF ENGLAND
is on her way to open parliament and she'll be coming down the street in
about 10 minutes. Yes, I saw the queen! Haha people are in London for
years and never see her...we're there for 12 hours and see her TWICE!
And I have a video to prove it. So a few minutes later all these
soldiers riding black horses in straight lines start coming down the
street and the royal band is playing and then the queen comes along in
her carriage! And then followed by another carriage with Prince Henry.
So after that we just kept walking down the street and went to Trafalgar
square and then walked down to Buckingham Palace and as we almost get
to the Palace...oh no big deal...here comes the queen and the royal
procession again! Haha and this time we were even closer. I really still
can't believe that happened... so we walked around some more and in the
different parks and stuff and just around London...it seriously is like
a different world there and with the whole horse brigade and the queen
and everything I felt like we jumped in a time machine and were in a
different era. I for sure want to go back again when I have more time.
But after that we walked to Harrodd's SO HUGE!! and by this time we are
like DEAD because of the flight and lack of real food and all the
walking, and the fact that it was like 4am our time. So we got
sandwiches and juice at the Harrod's deli and ate it outside and then
headed back to the airport. We then got on another 8 1/2 hour flight to
Kenya (I took just one sleeping pill this time and it did the trick so
it was a pretty good plane ride) Then we finally were in Africa! Then we
waited like 2 hours at the Kenya airport and then got on a plane and
then had a one hour flight to Entebbe, Uganda!! We flew over Lake
Victoria....it was HUGE!!!! Once we met up with our country directors we
squished all of us and our luggage on to a bus and drove for another 5
hours to Mbale! We stopped on the way in Jinga and got food...strangely
enough my first meal in Africa was Thai food...haha I got chicken curry
and rice, but it was really good! I thought the 5 hour drive would be
MISERABLE after traveling so long and being so jet lagged, but I was in
so much awe the whole time it went by super fast! I couldn't believe the
things I saw....we went from the city where people came right up to the
open windows of the bus begging for money and trying to sell us meat
and shoes and all sorts of things, and then past little tiny towns where
people lived literally in dirt huts. I wish I could describe to you
everything I saw today. Everywhere we would go everyone would stare at
our bus and yell Mzunugu's!! (white people) and in some of the smaller
towns they would literally chase after our bus. But we made it to our
house and it is super nice for Africa!! But still completely NASTY for
the states haha I am SO happy to be here though. We have a cook who
makes us dinner Monday- Friday, so I had my first real African meal
tonight and it was WAY good!
We talked for awhile about house and
safety rules and our plan the next few days and then we set up our beds
and mosquito nets, and today we get to take a freezing cold shower, but
we only get 2 showers a week! And 1 hot one every other
Sunday....definitely embracing the experience for all it's worth :)
It's
way hot and humid and there are more bugs than there are in Hawaii, and
I have never been so tired in my life, but I am SO happy and would not
want to be anywhere else right now. I can't wait to experience more, and
I hop you guys will be able to keep in touch and be a part of it with
me. I have access to internet a lot so email and facebook me! I want to
hear from all of you :)
No comments:
Post a Comment